A Night of Celebrating Champions of Inclusive Communities
The Parent Education & Advocacy Leadership (PEAL) Center hosted their 6th Annual Inclusion Awards Dinner on Friday, October 13, 2017 at LeMont in Pittsburgh, PA. The event was an opportunity to recognize the work of deserving people and organizations who have contributed to building inclusive schools and communities where all children, youth and adults lead rich, active, person-centered lives.
Chaz Kellem, Senior Director, Advocacy for Race & Gender Equity for the YWCA of Greater Pittsburgh served as master of ceremonies. Over 100 guests dined on a choice of Surf-N-Turf – petite filet mignon and stuffed shrimp, Chicken Marsala – tender breast sautéed with mushrooms, Atlantic Salmon or Vegetable Terrine – layered seasonal roasted and grilled vegetables with soy kass and rich balsamic reduction.
They presented a silent auction with over $8000.00 of prizes donated by corporations and small businesses throughout the city.
The honorees were:
- Dr. Graciela Slesaransky-Poe – Champion of Social Justice
- Include Me Initiative, Arc of PA – Champion of Inclusive Education Advocacy
- R. Todd McMillen, Greensburg Salem School District – Champion of Inclusive Education
- John & Juanita Seely, Empowering Lives Foundation – Champions of Employment
- Julius Boatwright, Steel Smiling Pittsburgh – Emerging Grassroots Leader